Monday, May 19, 2008

Space Camp

So. Let me just explain to you the layout of this place. First off it's this big white building in the Aegean Free Zone. It's surrounded by banks. You come in and there's a space store to your right and the tiniest elevator I have ever seen. Straight ahead is a huge room for the kids to play in. If you follow the very long hall to the right of that room you'll get to the habitat. That's where I live. There are four (I think?) large rooms with a ton of bunk beds and lockers that the kids use and then along the outside are the counselor rooms. I have an adjoining bathroom with another girl. I also have two beds, a weird wardrobe, desk, and chair. The first floor has the boys habitat which we're not allowed to go into and a counselor room. I attempted to watch Turkish TV last night but none of the new counselors could figure out the satellite so we all went back and read. The third floor I think has the cafeteria. Imagines cafeterias you see in old movies... That's what we have. We grab silverware and a tray and then walk through and get stuff plopped onto our plates. Yesterday it was bulgar, three different kinds of kebabs (one definitely tasted like meat loaf), salad, and a pudding. This morning we had bread with white cheese and butter, these chocolateish corn flakes (they weren't as sweet as American ones), cucumbers and tomatoes, a hot dog looking thing, and tang. 
I don't understand the dryer. Washer didn't go too bad but I can't get my clothes dry :( I'll have to ask one of the turkish counselors. They're all soooo nice. 
We have a complete tour of the place in a little bit and then we get the rest of the day off to explore Izmir. We're going to try and get to Kıpa. I figured out what to say to the taxi driver. We might try the dolmuş tomorrow. I'm the only American counselor that knows some turkish. I wish there were more so I could practice my turkish more since the turkish counselors don't usually stay the night. 
But I still haven't gotten used to all the turkish. I have students outside my door all night yelling at one another in turkish and it just makes me laugh everytime I hear it. One kid was yelling at the other "Geldi, geldi, geldi. Burada. Burada."

No comments: