Friday, June 11, 2010

The Magnificence!

It is so hard to describe how amazing this location is. I walk around thinking I'm in a movie or a story. I went to the nearby city today (still more of a town lol) to look for Kyrgyz fairy tales to help me learn Kyrgyz. Unfortunately, all fairy tales are in Russian. I will have to wait till going to the capital to hopefully find books in Kyrgyz.
The last three days I watched a sheep get killed and then eat the meat from it. I can't say that I enjoy it and while I keep saying I'll get used to it... Well we'll see. Fermented mare's milk is something else they drink a lot in my oblast that I find hard to stomach. I think I will try to cook for myself during the winter... I hope my host mother can help me can apple sauce and tomatoes so I can use those all winter. It's a lot of work to prepare. Some people have already started canning strawberry jam in preparation. I love the fact that all this can be done and people can live seasonly with the limited aid of stores. There are so many things I want to learn.
For now I am trying to stay sane and ease myself into everything. It is a very different life. I have not been left alone except to sleep and even then I am checked on because I might be afraid.
If you've ever wanted to see a sheep killed and then eat it's meat in a yurt or see the most beautiful landscape of your life or seeing amazing handiwork then come visit me! If you're way too afraid of not washing your body more than once a week and realistically twice a month then you're in luck... There's a hotel in the nearby town with running water and actual toilets. Inside. Craziness.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looking forward to visiting you next year. Love Mom

kiwimomo said...

Oh my GOD, Deborah~ where in the world are you? haha... ahhh... this is craziness! You are too cool! So much has happened! I can't even keep up... u_u GO DEBORAH!!