Thursday, June 10, 2010

New Site

So life has been interesting...
I moved to my permanent site last Thursday but have been in limbo. My counterpart wanted me to start immediately on English Club which would have been fine except she wanted it Monday thru Thursdays two hours a day which is a lot since I also have to meet everyone in town and feel that I should work on improving my language so I can better integrate. But I also want to make my counterpart happy so for now I feel stuck. I hope we can better agree in the future. I think most of it is because I am the first volunteer and they are so excited to have me but I can't let myself be worked to death.
Everyone has been so excited to meet me and have me to their house. Tomorrow I am going with a girl a bit younger than me to the local big city. Hopefully it'll be a good day.
I went to a yurt yesterday and watched a sheep be slaughtered and then ate it. I cannot get used to the taste and their love of eating the fat. But I am trying... Which brings me to things I need sent!
1. Dried fruit! Anything but apricots!
2. dried soups and/or bouillon cubes
3. cold cream and cotton balls - I get a banya once a week now and in the winter only every other week so I need something to clean my face with that doesn't require water lol If there's anything else that works send that my way.
4. Spices! Here they only have black pepper, red pepper, salt, and baking soda... I especially need vanilla extract. And any kind of mexican seasoning.
5. Baking powder. They have soda here but baking powder is expensive.
6. Snack foods - sour patch kids, beef jerky, jolly ranchers, sweettarts, now and laters, tasty granola bars, etc.
7. Any kind of dry shampoo... My hair has gotten a bit used to the lack of showering but by the last couple days it still looks pretty awful.
8. Letters! Sending me letters will make me oh so happy :D

Anything would be super appreciated! I miss everyone so very much!

1 comment:

Lyd said...

It is wonderful to read all about your adventures Deborah! You are such a brave young lady!

Lydia