Next week I have off so I'm going to take a bus to Adana and then head up to Goreme for a few days and then go to Pammukale on my way back to Izmir. I'm traveling alone but I'm hoping I'll meet people on the way or at least I'll finish one of my books :)
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Another Bazaar
So Ann and I decided to go to a bazaar yesterday. It's across the bay and only occurs on Wednesdays. We took the bus to Konak and then started walking down the boardwalk. Suddenly this guy runs by us with four police men on him. He had stolen the simits. He had just taken a whole stand of simits. Well, as this was happening we just kept walking and walking in the opposite direction were english people. They spoke in english! We got a little too excited lol So then we got onto the ferry and headed over. We managed to find the bazaar and I bought a belt and some cool earrings and necklace. Then we headed out starving. We really wanted Iskender (It has pieces of bread on the bottom and then shaved meat over that and then tomato sauce over that and yogurt on the side that you dip it into. It's really really good in my opinion). However, we could not find it anywhere. We finally found a pastry shop right by the pier so we went in. Asking what was in all of them was not working out though so the guy tried to get some one that spoke english to come over. Well this guy could only speak german so we conversed in german a little bit and got two pastries to eat on the ferry ride back. We headed up to the pedestrian walk way in Alsancak. On the way we saw the coolest bags made out of efes cans. Efes is pretty much the national beer here. I've never seen anyone drinking anything else. It's soooo popular. We went inside of the store and I bought the bag and then this guy was showing us how he makes all the jewelry. He made a ring right in front of us from a broken shard from an Efes bottle. Finally, dinner. We found a place with Iskender. This guy also didn't speak much english but told us he had great german. So, we talked for a bit. He was a worker near Stuttgart for many years but came back to Turkey because it will always be home. He recommended some other turkish foods that we had to try while we were in turkey and then Ann and I were on our way back to Space Camp.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment