So I started with eleven Russian children. The intermediate group. I now have ten. I had to get rid of one red headed boy after he threw a dictionary at my cute little girl and made her cry and attacked one of the boys in my class. He is now in the beginning class and doing a lot better. I have had AWESOME lessons and some lessons that make me feel like I'm an awful teacher. Today up till the last 45 minutes was perfection. We were conversing. We talked about Russian food, supermarkets, did a word search, learned the parts of the body in russian and english, and then we listened to a song and analyzed the lyrics like we do every day. Then I gave them 45 minutes to work on a play and it all fell apart. They started fighting in Russian and one girl started crying so we quickly switched to charades and hang man but the fun was lost. Hopefully tomorrow I can get it back. I have two more teaching days for the week and then two weeks off and then start again next week. I am not sure what I'll be doing during the two days off. The children are going to Joensuu to do shopping because there is nothing in Kitee. I want to see Joensuu so perhaps I'll go with them.
I have not been practicing as much finnish as I wanted because I'm surrounded by Russians. Yesterday and today I practiced the russian alphabet and I think I nearly have it down and I know a lot of basic phrases now... Hung out with the two Russian counselors last night. They're so funny. It's a guy and a girl and they knocked on my door right after I'd gone to sleep to ask if I wanted to eat cookies with them. Such fun people.
However... Hopefully at the next camp I will practice more finnish.
It's less lonely here than I thought. I get up at 6 to plan lesson plans for the day and then go to breakfast at 8am. Usually there's porridge and some dark bread for breakfast. Then I quickly make copies before teaching from 9 until 1130 when they have an hour break for lunch. I eat lunch and then head back to my classroom to set up for the afternoon. I have them for another two hours after lunch and then free for the rest of the day. At 230 is snack time and at 6 is dinner. The food is very plain and I miss sweet things. There's nothing sweet here. Lots of bread. At least it's dark bread so I really enjoy it.
I walked to the outskirts of town yesterday and then it started raining. So the hour walk back I was drenched. Everyone stared at me as they passed in their cars lol
So Finland so far...
1. Russians are loud! And respond well to yelling. Something I fail at.
2. The sun shining most of the time makes it very difficult to gauge what time it is so I don't get nearly as much sleep as I wanted.
3. Lack of internet is annoying.
4. Sauna is amazing. Unfortunately have not gotten to use it at camp.
5. There are some funny looking Finnish gangsters roaming the streets.
6. Most of the population in this town wanders around with track suits on.
7. The war memorials are my favorite part of each town. I go and give a moment of silence at each I've come across.
8. I HATE mosquitos...
9. I want to move to a small finnish town and teach english to refugees and sauna every week and cross country ski or "walk with sticks" to work every day. Perfection :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ah! Sounds AMAZING. It sounds like, for the most part, things are going really well =). I hope that you get a chance to go to the sauna! Have a great couple days off! More pictures please?
And ick on lack of sweets! Did you bring some with you?
Post a Comment