Saturday, September 20, 2008

New dorm...

So last Friday I moved into a recently remodeled dorm. Unfortunately, it was not ready for students. There's no microwave or hot water kettle like in my old dorm. No oven just a stove top. There's no laundry machines. And for the first weekend our toilet was broken. It leaked from the back but luckily Monday they came and fixed it and now it's fine. There's also no internet. I got my code to set it up on thursday but the guy came to set it up and can't. He's going to come back on Sunday so hopefully he'll set it up. I worked most of the days this week at American Corners. They can't pay me so it's just an internship but I've been enjoying it a lot. I wrote an article for the school newspaper about Tucson :) Will be published on Monday. 
So the set up of the room... You go into a main door and there's a tiny foyer with a refrigerator and small set of cabinets. There are doors to the left and right. The left one contains the shower and the right one contains the toilet. Then straight in front are two doors. One to my room and the other to another room. I live with Jay from Korea and in the other room is Iida for Finland and a girl from Italy that we haven't really talked to because she just moved in but she'd been living in Pecs for a while. 
Monday I had my orientation for my faculty and met a Belgium girl named Stephanie that is taking Central European Political Structures with me. She studied hungarian for two years in Belgium so she's living with a host family now to get better. So she comes to my room a lot before events and to hang out. 
I met a German boy that lived in Pittsburg his senior year of high school and loved it. 
Currently at a McDonalds to get internet so I'll just sum up the people that I've met that I think I'll be spending the most time with...
Stephanie - Girl from Belgium. Speaks Hungarian, Dutch, English, and some French. Wants to be a UN interpreter. 
Christian - boy from near Berlin. Lived in Pittsburg for a year. Comparative linguistics major.
Jay - my roommate from Korea. Business and economics major here. International trade back home. Spent a year in Canada learning english.
Iida - roommate from Finland. Parents own a water bottling plant there. Also economics and business major. Shares many classes with Jay.
Marko - Finnish boy that takes classes with Iida and Jay. Knows a lot of American movies. Lives less then a hundred km from santa claus and has reindeers living by his house. I want to visit so bad lol
Margaret - American from Washington college. International Studies major. We share a love of American girl dolls and the Sound of Music
Jolanda - Austrian girl that lived in Philadelphia and Australia so has AMAZING english

Haha so before I leave you. I had Jay and Marko watch Psycho and it was soooo funny watching it with people that had never seen it before. I tried so hard not to give the secret away. 
I am having such a great time here. I absolutely love europe even with all the problems with the dorm. I'm determined to learn some finnish and korean before I go back home. 

No comments: