Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fatma

So yesterday Anna, Ann, and I decided to take the service bus to Alsancak. The service bus is a free bus provided by the Aegean Free Zone to its employees to bring them home from work. We got on at 6:15pm and headed for Alsancak. We passed the globe that marks the kulturpark and hoped that we would soon be at the pedestrian area. hah. Instead we started heading north. Oh dear we thought. We were in a part of town we'd never been. Then the guy behind us started asking us where we wanted to go. I replied to the Sea. He started asking the others on the bus if they knew english. Well this one woman Fatma came over and sat by Anna and asked us where we wanted to go. This time we responded To the sea. in english. Well we totally missed the sea but she offered to help us get back. So we got off the bus at her stop she walked us through these little streets to another major street and told us we should get on the 53 bus. We told her thanks for the help but she didn't leave. She told us we couldn't trust the turkish men that were around us so she stayed. She gave us her hair clips as a present and talked to the bus driver when he came to make sure that we got to where we wanted to. So so so so kind. Many of the people here are so incredibly kind and really want to make sure that we're okay.
I leave on Friday and I'm sad to go. I have met some of the absolutely kindest people here. I have also met the most disgusting, perverted men here. But then every country has its good and bad. 

No comments: