Sunday, August 24, 2008

In Bucharest

So everyone seems to speak english in Bucharest and very very good english. Many of them told me it was from watching english TV shows and movies. How crazy!? 
So Sebena, Susannah, and I went to the old city center to go to a bar. We met a random czech man that was stuck in bucharest as well so we invited him along. We were walking around downtown when we ran into a man with an Obama shirt. Susannah is a huge Obama fan so she said something to him and he's from harlem visiting Romania with his boyfriend. They recommended Club A to us to get cheap drinks and be able to stay there till 5am when the metro starts running again so we head there. We pay 2 lev (less then a dollar) to get in and then find one of the only places to sit. Two guys sit down next to us. They're turkish lol How funny! One of them had even lived in Izmir so we talked about Izmir for a while then we went and danced. They had amazing old school American music lol Like the most amazing music I've ever heard at a bar. The turkish guys start getting a little grabby so I start avoiding them and find other people to talk to but everyone in this country is pretty grabby. One guy told me that I should always wear my glasses because I look like a manager. Never heard that one before. Unfortunately, one of the guys that sat next to me was trying to introduce me to his friend. He asked where I was from and I said America. He said I looked like I was some random country that I don't remember and I said that my family was from Germany. Well his friend started doing heil hitler. What?! I asked him what he was doing and turns out they were both Neo-Nazis. Ack. But they hate Germany and Germans because we're not nationalistic anymore and no longer stand up for what's right. But Romanians are still nationalistic and they'll take care of everything. What?! I didn't think people like this actually existed. Susannah and I realize that Sebena is gone so we look for her. We head outside to check if she's there and she is with two guys. They start yelling at us about America and how they know so much about America but we don't learn anything about Romania in school. They don't want to listen to anything we have to say but Susannah keeps trying anyway. Finally we go grab our stuff from down stairs and head back to the train station. 

No comments: