Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First day in Pécs

So I finally arrived in Pécs at 3:25pm and there's a woman waiting for me. Yay! We manage to fit all my stuff into her friend's tiny car and we head for my temporary dorm which looks like it's falling apart lol. I ask how many other students are there. "None. School doesn't start till the 18th for Erasmus students." She replies. What?! We go up to my room on the 4th floor to find my roommate has already moved in. She's a sweet girl from Korea named Jay. She studies business trade back home and economics and business here. I hurry to talk to the Erasmus advisor before he leaves because I wanted to get my student ID. Turns out classes actually don't start till the 18th and no faculty will be here until the 8th which is when the hungarians start classes. 
Well I headed back to my room and asked my roommate. Her faculty was there when she went today and she was able to get her ID so I'm going to check tomorrow at mine. 
I then headed to the grocery store because there was no internet and the man that could enroll us in the internet wouldn't be there till 9:30pm. I love the food here! lol 
Now this dorm... It's shaped like a U. You enter the doors in the front and can take stairs to the left or right. They meet up at the next level into one staircase that goes up to the ground floor and the reception desk. Here I turn right and follow the hallway to the end then turn right again to get to the stairs. I climb up to the 4th floor there you encounter doors. You use an electronic pass to get through them. Then you have to open your door with a key. These locks are so stupid and take me so long to open and close. And you have to do it on both sides of the door. Argh. If you continue down the hall you encounter many many rooms. There is one shower room and one toilet room for the entire hall. The shower room has four shower heads that you can pick up and rinse yourself off but no shower curtains. The toilets are gross and dirty and there is no toilet paper. 
Also, right when you exit the dorm is a large stadium. Well on the concrete wall is written "Skinheads." *shakes head* The world continues to baffle me. 
Now I have so much extra time. I'm considering a long weekend in Croatia or maybe head to Bosnia. I could also take the boat and go to Vienna from Budapest. I'll look into the options tomorrow. 

No comments: